Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Great Big Voluptuous Dresden Plate Quilt

I broke into my stash o' Kaffe Fassett fabrics for this quilt ... and oh my gosh, is it ever pretty.  I'm quite taken with it ... I love the citrus colors and the significantly over-sized Dresden plate.  Just makes me smile.

The Dresden plate measures 34" across.

The background is a solid white ... the 'stripey effect' is from the sun shining through and showing the back fabrics.

I added a Free Spirit fabric for the back with ...
AQUA! and FLOWERS!
and the combination just sent me over the moon

But what really made my heart sing was the quilting.

I took a lot of time to detail the Dresden plate... outlining the petals
and doing a free motion floral motif.

Oh my gosh again ... I just love it.

The Dresden plate really shows well on the back.

With my favorite little piece of yard art,
a garden fairy with a butterfly on his finger.

This quilt is available for purchase in my Etsy shop.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/130911754/spring-summer-lap-quilt-throw-citrus?ref=shop_home_active


4 comments:

  1. On this snowy, dreary May day it is total joy to see such a gorgeous quilt!! Thank you so much for lifting many spirits! Inches and inches of snow in southern MN has done many in!!! Uber hugs and blessings....Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to send some sunshine your way ... snow in May, the world's gone mad! Having grown up with lots o'snow, I don't even like snow in December anymore ...that's why I live in a rainy town. But soldier on ... your snow will soon be gone and the lilacs in bloom and the quilt will still be here if you need a dose o'happy. -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly do a fine job on your quilting! Do you do long arm quilting? And I love the way you display your quilts outside; I'll have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a Pfaff GrandQuilter that I do most of the quilting on .. it's the same idea as a long arm, but a much smaller 'home' version ... there's a picture of it in the 4/16/12 post 'The Quilting Room". I did the Dresden outline quilting with the Bernina using the walking foot and all the free motion work was done on the Pfaff.

      I've struggled with learning 'photography', and I still struggle with light, composition etc. Outside shots help with the lighting aspect, it's easier to get the colors right ... you just gotta work around the weather!

      Delete