Wednesday, February 6, 2013

CowGirl and CowBoy Up! ... A Country Lone Star Quilt

The Lone Star Quilt has been beloved by many generations of quilters, this quilter included.

This quilt is nine small Lone Stars ...
so I guess it's actually a constellation!

The pile o' fabrics collected for this quilt ... all the colors
were pulled from the colors in the boots


The stars are set on a background of two different rust color fabrics.

I am a BIG fan of color.  I think it's my favorite part of quilts and quilting.
I especially like the pops of blue against the rust.

The star points are outlined with a long curved line.  I like the effect.

And I put booboolah's in the center of each star.
I don't know if they have a real name, but I call them booboolah's.
They are little 1/2 inch yoyo's I guess.  I used them on my New York Beauty Christmas quilt too.

Some more of the quilting and fabrics

In the four large rust squares in the center, I did a motif using a paper pattern.

Quilters, Do Not, I repeat Do Not use tissue paper for this technique.
Use Wax Paper ... it tears away really easy.  Tissue paper, not so much.

Print out the quilting motif you want,
then layer sheets of wax paper under the motif.

Follow the lines of the motif with your sewing machine (un-threaded!).  The pattern is punched through on the wax paper and works spiffy-do.
I hate marking a quilt, but this method I really like.

The finished motif ... after picking out all the little bits o' tissue paper!

I used the back fabric as the binding by folding it to the front.
I love doing bindings this way and it is the way my grandmother did the binding on the Sunbonnet Sue she made all us girls for Christmas one year.  It looks and feels wonderful.

But ... I was just finishing top stitching the binding when
I saw, I had cut the binding with my rotary cutter.  My heart sank.

I saw my only option at this point was to patch.
And this quilt is so nice, with so many special touches.
I guess the patch on the binding just needs to be another special touch.

I matched the fabrics and appliqued stitched the patch down.
And then hand quilted.  The patch ain't going anywhere ... and I think it
blends in just fine.

Cowboy and Cowgirl boots are the border.

This quilt is available on Etsy, special OOAK patched binding and all.

It is a truly nice quilt.


https://www.etsy.com/listing/122899295/western-cowgirl-cowboy-throw-lap-quilt