Monday, April 16, 2012

The Quilting Room

Crazy Quilt

Most of the quilting gets done in the basement on a Pfaff Grand Quilter, the original with the inspira frame.  Although it was bought a bit on impulse, I rationalized that it would pay for itself after 10 full size quilts based on the cost of sending a top out to a pro.  For once in my life, the rationalization proved correct . . . the grand Quilter is not just a favorite tool, but indispensable.

The original setup for the frame has a shelf for pantographs, but I took it off last year as I quickly found that I like free form, free motion quilting.  Pillow shams for mom and dad's anniversay quilt are loaded and ready for quilting.

Hanging behind the quilter is a silk crazy quilt that I found at a garage sale years ago. The foundation backing is cotton feedsacks.  The binding remains unfinished, some of the silks are shredding if not totally disintegrated . . . and I love it.

Crasy Quilt Signature
It is signed, 82 YRs. E.E.R 1911.  I'm estimating she was born in 1829.  Andrew Jackson was president, the first US patent for a typerwriter was granted.  I sometimes ponder what her life was like, but I can only imagine.  E.E.R . . . thank you for your beautiful handwork and I treasure your now 101 yr old quilt.

Crasy Quilt silk shredding

The embroidery is lovely.  I've read that silk was sold by the pound and was often treated with lead to increase the weight and that is why some silks don't hold up.     

Quilt Room Studio

I don't spend much time in a room that doesn't have a TV.  I cancelled the cable subscription last fall (don't miss it a bit).  I've got a Roku box (love it) so I can stream Netflix (love it).  Biography of Dolly Madison is playing.