Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Lone Star Quilt ... with Half Square Triangles

A Lone Star quilt with half square triangles is a much less daunting proposition than a Lone Star quilt with diamonds, bias edges and inset seams.



It has a wee different look than a traditional Lone Star, but still makes a striking quilt without all the sewing anguish.  Inset seams still give me lots of quality time with the seam ripper.

This is the first quilt I did on the Pfaff Grandquilter.

Pebbles on the Lone Star.  I love quilted pebbles
but end up not doing them very often anymore
... they take such a long time.

As designed in EQ.

The squares and HST's are 4-inches finished and the
overall quilt dimensions are 68 x 93,
which washed and dried down to 63 x 87.

I find I usually get about 13% shrink once my quilts
get all their quilty puckery goodness.

In the Dogwood tree ... it's a nice quilt hanger
(when it's not raining).

One mo' picture, just because the tree fern
is looking so good this time of year, and I like the pic :}

4 comments:

  1. I'm definitely clicking on the heart for this pattern....thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this pattern too ... I'm contemplating making one in a different colorway for Etsy.

      Delete
  2. Now it has never entered my mind to make this design with half square triangles! How clever! I always like the way you display your quilts for photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my idea ... I saw it on Simply Quilts. Here's the link to Debbie Maddy's web site. She's the clever girl who thought of it. http://www.calicocarriage.com/simplyQuilts.asp

      Looking at her web page you can do Carpenter Wheel with HST's too, I'll have to look at that. I like Carpenter Wheel and have never done one.

      I think I must look like a crazy lady running around the yard with my quilts trying to get them in a good light for pics. But oh well.

      Delete